My Garden’s Working Progress 2011

By early January, with little else to do gardening wise I decided it was time to take up the driveway. I swallowed my fear and hired myself a concrete breaker and spent the next 4 days taking up as much as I could. I had to leave a strip so we could walk down the garden without getting ourselves muddy.

DSC_6697

The resulting carnage

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

After clearance

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

By April this year with the dry weather we were having I felt like it would be a good time to repaint the other half’s workshop. We went for a dark colour so it would look more discrete.

IMG_0773

I also rearranged the beds in the vegetable garden to fit another bed in and make access to the compost bin a bit easier. Erected a trellis at the end of the vegetable garden and repainted the picket fencing.

Before
IMG_0773

After
IMG_0773

In late May came the big day. Builders would be coming to take up the rest of the driveway and two old garage bases at the end of the garden. They would then build a pathway that would run halfway down the garden.

Day before the builders arrived, how everything looked. (New coat of paint added to the picket fence and trellis)

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

The destruction only took a day to complete. But left the garden in total chaos as a result. Both garage bases at the end of the garden were lifted out of the ground with a digger. They quickly discovered that the people who had built the base had also thrown in a load of asbestos in with the concrete. This caused a massive headache, as most of it was still stuck to the concrete and would costs hundreds to be disposed of. In the end the digger dug a massive hole and buried it, something I’m not happy about but we had little choice.

IMG_0773

We had own front garden blocked paved over at the same time (will show photos in a separate post from this one) and the total build only took 4 days to complete both.

End of day one

IMG_0773

In the end when the work was completed and most of the rubble was taken away the garden looked like this. When the digger dug the hole to put the asbestos in they bought up a lot of horrible claggy clay to the surface. It looked fine and workable until it bucketed it down and turned it into toffee.

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

The other half wanted grass outside his workshop and so had to buy 2 tons of topsoil to spread a thick layer over the toffee clay. We seeded the lawn with grass seed for shaded conditions, rather than turfing it.

The paving slabs ain’t level in this picture but were laid down out of necessity.

IMG_0773

Pictures of the finished pathway.

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

I’m usually the last person who would want to turn a front garden into a car park, but our street is very overcrowded with cars and so had little choice. I still got to keep a large section as a bed though, which is buzzing with lots of bees and ladybirds at the moment.

This was how it looked the day before the builders moved in. Lots of lawn, full of ground elder, which I had neglected for the past few months.

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

The first day of the builders. Half the wall was knocked down, the concrete path removed and the lawn taken up (along with the ground elder I hope)

IMG_0773

IMG_0773
IMG_0773

IMG_0773

End of day one and the big pile of sand had buried a few of my plants, which I had to dig out and move.

IMG_0773

End of day 2

IMG_0773

And the finished drive.

IMG_0773

By July-August the garden was starting to be planted up and the lawn was coming along nicely

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s