My Garden’s Working Progress 2010

On 16th July 2010 we moved into our first house after waving our flat behind that we had been living in for over 3 years. This is my first garden that I have full control over. I used to do gardening at my parents but didn’t have much say in the “design” of things.

This is how the garden looked the day we moved in. A 116ft garden, complete with 2 garages, a rotten shed (behind the garage on the right), driveway and overgrown privet hedge (forgot to mention the washing line)

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

IMG_0773
(Another shot but with the pergola removed)

IMG_0773

IMG_0773

Pictures of the rotten shed behind one of the garages. The roof was very close to caving in but full of things the previous owners left behind.

My plans were to take up the driveway but leave one of garages for a workshop for the other half, who is into his woodworking.

After a few months we had built a potting shed, greenhouse and removed both the garages and rotten shed. Even though we had intended to keep one garage we quickly found out that the roof was leaking very badly. It was therefore decided to replace them both with a brand new shed for the other half, which cost the same as replacing the roof on the garage anyway.

Unfortunately Other half thought he would be able to get away with mounting thee whole thing on bricks and quickly realised he would need a concrete base for it. While this was taking place his large workshop sat assembled against the garden wall.

IMG_0773

The picture below was taken on the day the workshop was erected. The rotten old shed can be seen leaning against the wall.

IMG_0773

We ended up auctioning both garages off on ebay, as we were not sure about dismantling them ourselves. After a few days an offer was made on both garages and we accepted. They were both dismantled in a weekend and we were £160 richer.

Here’s a better picture of the workshop, measuring 10′ x 16′. It’s still standing on the two garage bases but had to have a new more even base built on top.

IMG_0773

Parts of the rotten old shed were reused to build a compost bin and a place to store my leaves while they decomposed.

IMG_0773

A vegetable garden was then created around the greenhouse. This was then enclosed with a picket fence, which I built from scratch.

IMG_0773

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s