My New Garden Bench

DSC_4326

So if you have read some of my other posts and pages on here, you’ve probably concluded that I don’t sit still very often, especially in the garden and I decided it was time to make a small, simple seat that would also be functional, like a saw trestle and not cost the earth. It was originally intended for my allotment plot but am having trouble letting go of it. I now sit quite happily in the sunshine (when we do get it) whittling away on it.

This bench is made entirely from ash, there are now fixings to it either, only wood joints and a bit of glue. The Ash was also donated to me by Essex Wildlife Trust from the local wood, Linford Wood. The two pieces I was given were off of a very large branch which had snapped and was now proving to be a hazard to the public.

Linford Wood
Untitled
The Only Picture I have Of The Ash Logs Before They Were Worked On. As You Can See This Bench Didn’t get Much Use.

This was left to season for nearly a year before I started work on it. I then began splitting the logs to make up 4 legs and the seat top. The 4 lengths that would become the legs were then bandsawed into squarer lengths and then turned roughly on my lathe. I didn’t know what the final width would be at this point and so thought I would at least get them round first and then turn all the others down to the thinnest leg.

IMG_20150223_161737551_HDR
The Legs. The Two On The Left Having Been Roughly Turned While The Other Two Are About To Be Turned Down.

After a final thickness was decided the other legs were then turned down to suit. I added a slight taper at the bottom of each leg just to add a bit of interest to them.

IMG_20150225_103714208_HDR
The Legs All Turned Down To The Same Thickness, Along With The Almost Finished Bench Top (Upside Down)

Four holes were then bored into the underside of the seat top. These would act like mortises for the legs to fit into. Determining the angles was quite daunting and so decided to just wing it. I first bored one hole at a angle I guessed at and then used a large wooden screw left over from an old wood clamp we had to help me gauge the position of the other three legs. Boring the holes proved to be immensely tiring on the arms I should add.

IMG_20150225_144740627
Over Half Way Through Boring The Holes For The Legs. Our Hand Brace On The Floor Proving To Be The Perfect Tool For The Job.

Now I had the size of the mortise holes I could then make the tenons to fit into them. These were made on my lathe and each leg was then mounted back into the lathe and a tenon was turned at the end of each leg to suit. I have no pictures of this process I’m afraid.

IMG_20150225_160326957_HDR

The legs were then fitted into place. The feet obviously didn’t sit square with the ground because of the angle of the legs and so these all had to be marked and then cut before all the legs were finally fitted permanently into place.

DSC_4331 DSC_4333

I had originally intended to carve bees into the underside of the seat top but had spent more time than I anticipated on making the whole thing I decided to use my pyrography pen and burn the bees in place instead.

DSC_4340
Underside Of Bench Top.

The Bench was then varnished and ready to use.

DSC_4334
Me On My New Bench, Just To Prove To Myself That It Could Take My Weight.

 

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “My New Garden Bench

  1. Pingback: Noah’s Ark | Grace Silverwood's Creations

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s